[CAUT] Detuning phenomenon; was: How long to stabilize??

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Fri Feb 20 14:58:11 PST 2009

I would tend to agree with Jeff Tanner that pianos do move quickly
with humidity changes.  I tell customers that pianos go out of tune
just about as easily as guitars do, but that they are equal to about
fourty guitars in work when tuning.

I would add that there are smaller but definite moves that take longer
to happen with a humidity change.  l also own a small piano store and
get to observe pianos that have been in warehouses then in trucks
acclimate here in the store.  My experience is that the largest moves
happen within 12 hours or less.  After that more subtle yet
significant moves take place over the next three weeks.

I come to piano tech from business as a journeyman timberframer (log
frame as well).  I suspect that some of that latter movement is
lengthwise movement along the grain rather then the usual culprit,
cross-grain movement.  This is an issue we had to plan for in timber
and log frame.  Green logs could shrink lengthwise over an inch after
install.  (Yes they were long.)  Such movement would have to be
planned for or the warranty situation could get rather "sticky".

In the piano this can translate to changes in tension support along
beams etc.  I have suspected, as noted here, that the unison smear in
opposite directions has to do with slight position changing of the
bridge due to the shape of the piano at that end of the scale.  I do
note this pattern more on the high end of the piano then on the lower
end.  It would be interesting to take precise measurements from the
plate to the bridge at different points in the scale with 10 to 40
point RH changes.  Perhaps tuning pin to bridge measurements would be
better as there probably is some slack in the pin too.

Sincerely,
Andrew Anderson