[CAUT] How long to stabilize??

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 20 01:13:16 PST 2009

Hi Andrew

One could think along those lines yes... and I'm not going to rule out
their influence... but a couple facts (and I use the term without
caution) annoy that conclusion. First, the back length frequency does
not change in same manner as the speaking length. I've measured this
several times and found on grands that the back length is quite stable
in comparison to the speaking length. Secondly... the non-speaking
length differences both vary from instrument type to instrument type and
and this variance is not reflected in the pattern well tuned unisons
display when start to go out of tune.

My attention is brought to the bridge itself, and the pinblock.

Cheers
RicB

    Speaking from an observational point of view without carefully
    measuring; it seems that the opposite swing of the outside unison
    strings might be related to unequal string lengths between tuning
    and hitch pins.  Seems to me that this is one of the stated reasons
    for single string unisons a-la Bosendorfer et al.  Having a little
    experience with Bosendorfer, I am not certain that this holds up
    under  scrutiny, comparatively. The opposite would then be true of
    uprights  as well and I do note the swing in them, some more then
    others.

    Maybe someone has already investigated this and can lay these
    questions to rest... ?

    Andrew Anderson