[CAUT] How long to stabilize??

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 20 00:54:19 PST 2009

Hi Diane.

In late on this... dont seem to have nearly as much time on my hands
these days but I wanted to reply. Haven't read  what appears to have
become a lengthy discussion yet, but I'll check out some of the posts.

My answer in any case is that I think the settling time is entirely
dependent on the climate difference between where they came from, and
where they are now.... and to some degree how long they were at their
previous location. There is a lot more to why pianos change pitch
relative to climate then any conceivable change in soundboard and bridge
material dimensions can account for... which directly implies that
pinblock, case parts... and literally every thing that is part of the
chain of components holding the string tension can get involved one way
or the other.  Some of these parts are going to take longer to finish
any <<permanent>> change then others.

Damp Chasers can not completely compensate for this by any means.
Strikes me that a Damp Chaser at best will more even out an existing
climate (seen from the instruments perspective) then significantly
change it. I've had instruments come directly from Germany to UiB and
take three-four months to settle in, and others delivered from more
local suppliers settle in nearly immediately.

I suppose to some degree this also depends on how green the wood is.
Not all manufacturers handle the wood seasoning process alike... and for
that matter not all models from the same manufacturer always get the
same priority.

Sum summarium ... I don't really think there is a straight on answer.  I
do suppose there should be a reasonable time limit.  If they havent
pretty much stabalized after tops 6 months... I perhaps would start
worrying.

Cheers
RicB

    I know many of you have written in the past about the problems with
    tuning stability in brand new loaner pianos from manufacturers.
    Fortunately the college where I am tuning has purchased these
    pianos, so they won't disappear just when we get them settled in.

     However, my question is this; in a practice room in a small
    college, how long, or how many tunings do you think it will take for
    the school's new Kawai UST-9's  to stabilize in tuning?