[CAUT] How long to stabilize??

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 19 08:39:15 PST 2009

In addition to what the others have said, I would ask the stakeholders (faculty, dealer) to define what their expectations of "stable" are and give them your thoughts about how realistic their expectations are.  My first thought in response to your question was "never".  Then I read on that you have the D/C half systems installed.  That should cut the time to 3 or 4 years unless you can tune them about once a month the first year. I also use Fred's analogy of the guitar or violin. But even more obvious and specifically relevant is it is like putting a single new string on a concert grand that you touch up every day for a month compared to a new string on a piano you see once a year.  Someone there should be able to relate to that.

I have a similar college situation, although they aren't fussing over it - or at least they haven't mentioned it to me.  A small private college has bought some 15 or more new Yamaha P22s as well as 4 Yamaha grands over the past 5 years and never once have they devoted any money to tuning the P22s in the practice rooms or classrooms.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say the dealer never even tuned them.  The neglected new pianos are now at least 50 cents low and if they ever do decide to spend the money to tune them, it will be a big catch up job.

Jeff Tanner