[CAUT] Piano Life Saver Systems and Disklavier

Brad Smith, RPT pianotech at smithpiano.com
Thu Feb 19 11:05:10 PST 2009

I have installed full DC systems on Disklaviers, and have called Yamaha to
ask for their recommendation on which system to use, they said "no problem"
and just use the DC chart of various piano makes / sizes to pick the
system.
I had one customer with a C3 Disklavier, and in his case we left off one of
the heater bars, since the biggest need was added humidity, and the thinking
was that the power supply of the Disklavier would put out some heat on its
own.

I used a bottom cover for that one.

BUT....if your customer is willing to lock down the room with humidity
control appliances, and some sort of measuring / tracking system, to find
the best recipe of humidifier/ de-humidfier....and really keep up with it.
 THAT is the best thing.

Be careful how you advise....always warn against putting some kind of cloud
producing misting thingy directly under a piano.   I had one customer who
did just that, lucky we caught it in time, as she was about to grow a mold
farm under there.

In the Northeast, I find far too many grands with DC system still suffer in
a too dry environment.
The DC helps, but I still end up having to pitch raise and tighten a hundred
screws.   That little tank, or even two little tanks, just isn't enough to
overcome 28% humidity in a room heated with dry air.

I wish I lived in temperate CALIFORNIA !!!   :-)  I'm convinced the grass is
greener there.

Best Regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
www.SmithPiano.com