[CAUT] Detuning phenomenon; was: How long to stabilize??

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 19 09:02:33 PST 2009

At USC, it was most noticeable on Baldwins.  The pianos would remain right at pitch but the unisons would go out in no time in this same pattern.  Since the Baldwins have Accu-Just hitch pins that aren't spaced in any predictable pattern that would support it, I sort of reasoned that threw the whole string length explanation out the window and made the phenomenon completely unexplainable.

Besides, what doesn't make sense is that one side pulls sharp while the other goes flat.  It would seem to be more reasonable that the change in pitch would be varying degrees of deviation in the same direction.
Jeff Tanner