[CAUT] Proposed Admendment to PTG ByLaws

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Tue Feb 17 07:32:59 PST 2009

Friends.....,

I, and some in my chapter, would like to share with you all a proposal to
the By-Laws that we have been working on.  At least for this year the
proposal has already been rejected, partly due to the fact of late
submission, which was half-expected, but also other reasons that remain
unclear.  Please review this for yourselves, as it is rather self
explanatory.  I believe that if enough people start talking and thinking
about it together we can arrive at an effective solution.  I do not believe
that simply handing this task to the marketing committee will effect any
real change. I hope you also agree that even though this is something that
may feel very personal, collective work needs to be done in this area and
ultimately it is for the long term health and well-being of our profession.
That is what really matters.
___________
___________

Proposed Amendment to PTG By-Laws:

I hereby make a motion that our Twin Cities Chapter of the PTG sponsor a
proposed amendment to the Bylaws under Article 1, Section B - "Principles"
and to be inserted between # 7 and # 8, as follows:

"Support piano service that members provide to the larger musical community
by encouraging acknowledgment or mention in the credits for recordings and
public concerts with prominent piano use as appropriate and similar to
acknowledgment given for other professional technical and/or managerial
services".

Rationale:

The intent of this proposal is to provide a meaningful statement to the
members and to legitimize modest requests for fair acknowledgement of our
services to the musical community, without direct involvement of PTG. The
PTG does not endorse any individual members action or requests, any more
than it would endorse an individual members action work or tuning on a
particular job.  We do however support and encourage acknowledgment of
member services for professional events in like manner as acknowledgment is
given for other technical and/or managerial support services, which all
together make these satisfying events possible.

Longer term it would be appropriate for marketing and public relations to
take interest in this cause for the good will of our profession. I believe
that a statement of purpose as such in our Principles is a necessary and
long overdue first step in this process.

Respectfully submitted- with administrative assistance from Malinda Powell,

Dennis Johnson, R.P.T.
1/19/2009

_____________

Bylaws Committee: Does Not Approve. Submitted past deadline (deadline
November 30, 2008; submitted December 28, 2008). Recommend tabling it for
further rewrite, see below.

Bylaws Chair comment:
I think this would be more appropriately addressed (after some editing) as a
"Call For Action" to the Board, perhaps to direct the trade relations
committee (and possibly CAUT) to investigate ways of encouraging such
acknowledgement. A subject worthy of discussion, but, I think, not
appropriate for inclusion in our organization's Principles section.