[CAUT] Plate locator holes

Jeff Farris Jfarris at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 13 05:34:13 PST 2009

Maybe I didn¹t word it very well.

Yes, the holes are used to re-locate the plate precisely where it was before
pulling it out to do bridge work, etc.

When starting the tear down of the piano, would you drill the holes in the
plate before de-stringing it, or after (taking the tension down but
obviously before pulling the plate out). It seems to me that with all the
tension being removed, and then the piano being exposed to the elements
while doing the rest of the plate and bridge work, that there is high
potential for things to ³move around² quite a bit before re-installing the
plate, making it more difficult to line up the locator holes if they were
drilled BEFORE de-stringing.

I just wanted to get opinions from others whether they drill them after
de-stringing instead of before.

Thanks,
Jeff Farris
Piano Technician
School of Music
UT Austin
jfarris at mail.utexas.edu
512-471-0158

On 2/12/09 6:25 PM, "David Ilvedson" <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I'm no expert but if you drill the holes for the precise reason to line up the
> plate in the exact same  spot when re-installing, wouldn't you at that time
> adjust the plate to line up with the locator holes?   What's the point,
> otherwise.
>

> David Ilvedson, RPTPacifica, CA 94044
>
>  Original messageFrom: "Jeff Farris"  To: "College and University Technicians"
>
> OK, here¹s a good question... Do you drill plate locator holes before taking
> tension off the strings or after? And why? (When putting a plate back in, if
> the holes don¹t line up exactly, could it be that something changed slightly
> since you drilled them before de-stringing?)Curious,Jeff FarrisPiano
> TechnicianSchool of MusicUT Austinjfarris at mail.utexas.edu <C:\Documents and
> Settings\David Ilvedson\Local
> Settings\Temp\Intellect\Mail\Compose\jfarris at mail.utexas.edu> 512-471-0158

Jeff Farris