[CAUT] Upright key weighting

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Feb 13 03:43:09 PST 2009

Most consoles and spinets which come through my shop get back lead on
the naturals
to even the touchweight between them and the sharps.

I've found that generally removing 6 grams of FW accomplishes this.
The keys weigh
pretty much the same across the keyboard so the lead is inserted at
the same point
along the keystick. Once the lead is located, a fence on the drill
press is easy
production work. With the recycled 'eyelet press' for swaging (jpg attch'd),
I can get this job done in 45 minutes.

Keys  # 1 & 88 get 2 leads installed to produce the same FW as the rest.

It's quick, increases repetition and touch with minimal time; let's
face it, they're not
worth spending a whole lot of time on.  I have not found it necessary
to install
back lead on the sharps but it could be done with a different leading
pattern than
the naturals.  Determine the current touchweight and where you want
it to figure
if you want to install back lead on all the keys or just the naturals.

This is the perfect application to recycle leads removed from grand releading
or salvaged leads from disposed pianos.
--

Regards,

Jon Page