[CAUT] Flooring for concert hall

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Feb 12 14:44:14 PST 2009

Hi Jim

Our biggest venue is the Lied Center for Fine and Performing Arts (about
2,200 seats).  They have a floor that is also "dance" friendly.  I'm not
sure, (since I haven't been here very long) but apparantly, the hall was
acoustically designed by the same firm that re-designed the Carnagie
retro-fit . It is that black surface, but I'm not sure what's underneath.
It's very nice sounding in there.  To make sure of this, get hold of Dan
Stratman at the Lied Center, and he can guide you in the right direction
for flooring assistance! His e-mail is dstratman1 at unl.edu. He's been there
for many years and would be of help>  BTW...Our other large venue, holding
750 seats is going to host the "Special Olympics" in 2010.  It is a maple
floor with concrete underlayment. The whole university is involved, of
course and not sure why they're choosing this venue for heavy lifting!!
I'm not sure what's going to happen when the lifters drop 700-800 pound
weights on the floor!!!  Perhaps we'll be looking for a new floor as well,
so I'll be interested in what you find out. (If the weights fall out over
the pit (1/2" plywood with nothing under..) we'll see!!
Keep me posted!

Best,
Paul

Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
02/12/2009 03:19 PM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

"caut at ptg.org" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] Flooring for concert hall

All,

Our large concert hall (1200 seats) is going to get a new floor. They
asked today if we knew of the acoustical considerations of the flooring.
Choices seem to be Maple flooring or some type of material used on the MGM
Grand in Las Vegas. Any help here? (Seems like the architects/engineers
would be all over this, but since we’re a private institution sometimes
things get done just to get them done…)

Also, the subflooring insulation is in question. What material to use,
etc.

I heard that one major hall (One of the 3 Carnegie?) had a new material
that was not conducive to good sound and had to be redone.

Can any of you direct me to resources on this? I wouldn’t know where to
begin, and I bet some of you have been there. Where do we go?

Thanks!!
Jim Busby BYU