[CAUT] Flooring for concert hall

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Feb 12 13:18:36 PST 2009

All,

Our large concert hall (1200 seats) is going to get a new floor. They asked today if we knew of the acoustical considerations of the flooring. Choices seem to be Maple flooring or some type of material used on the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Any help here? (Seems like the architects/engineers would be all over this, but since we're a private institution sometimes things get done just to get them done...)

Also, the subflooring insulation is in question. What material to use, etc.

I heard that one major hall (One of the 3 Carnegie?) had a new material that was not conducive to good sound and had to be redone.

Can any of you direct me to resources on this? I wouldn't know where to begin, and I bet some of you have been there. Where do we go?

Thanks!!
Jim Busby BYU