[CAUT] inharmonicity

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 10:05:37 PST 2009

Hi Allan,

I've measured inharmonicity of bowed strings on a violin. It varies with the weight/pressure applied by the bow and by the speed of the bow--but it does exist. There is also "para inharmonicity" from the body of the instrument. Sometimes there is enough difference that the size of the perfect fifths are different.

At 11:34 AM 2/5/2009 -0600, you wrote:
>There used to be an "old wives tale" (?) that inharmonicity in piano strings disappeared when they were bowed.
>Accompanying this was the assumption that there is no inharmonicity in the bowed strings of the viols.
>I probably shouldn't mention it, not having taken the trouble to do any research.
>Anyone have any direct experience with this alleged phenomenon?
>

>Regards,
>
>Alan B. Crane, RPT
>School of Music
>Wichita State University