[CAUT] inharmonicity in piano wire

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Thu Feb 5 08:59:51 PST 2009

I believe that it's due to the fact that the nodes of the vibrating
partials of a string have width, i.e., at the node the string will not
vibrate the thickness of the string.  When a wind instrument is vibrated
by the lips, reed, etc., once the player vibrates the air, the nodes
have no width to them like they do in a string.  That would cause the
string length of each partial to be shorter by the diameter of the
string and be sharper than they theoretically should.  Food for thought!
Joy!
Elwood