[CAUT] rolling pianos with oversize brass casters?

John Minor jminor at illinois.edu
Wed Feb 4 12:37:14 PST 2009

Anyone have any issues with rolling concert pianos with the oversize brass casters across uneven floors? We have a space(3/4" gap with filled with caulk)with in the flooring between the offstage piano storage and the stage itself. For the most part we use the grand transporter from Jansen to keep  the casters off the floor when moving on and off stage. But, we have the occasional request to move the piano onstage during the performance and it takes the stage crew a few extra minutes to remove the transporter once it is set in position on stage. Someone suggested moving the piano without the grand transporter.

Anyone have legs snapping off, etc.?

John Minor
University of Illinois