[CAUT] Alternative bridge pin treatment

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Feb 4 01:05:01 PST 2009

Hi folks.

Just thought I'd share that I've had very much success these past months
using Cellulose lacquer thinned to about 10 to 1 instead of CA glue on
bridge pins for all kinds of falseness. Improves both classic false
beats and wavering non periodic beating along with quite a bit of
various string noises.  Sinks in real quick, is very easy to apply and
clean up and gives immediate results.  Careful application to front
duplex areas also is useful.  On a couple occasions I've more or less
managed to shall we say <<tune>> the entire front duplex. That is to say
tune in the sense that one can get all strings to yield the same amount
and basic colour sound contribution to the overall sound result.  Seems
to dampen very high frequency buzz and zing sounds without really doing
much else. I just let a drop run down the front length til it hits the
capo. The effect in both cases has a lasting effect, tho the front
duplex length sometimes needs a touch up later on.

Been at this for about 6 months on several instruments of all sorts.
Hardly a conclusive study or anything... but worth mentioning.

Cheers
RicB