[CAUT] to sign or not to sign

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Feb 3 06:27:44 PST 2009

I'm not sure if it adds or subtracts value.  We have three signed grands
here. One 1932 L signed by Charles Steinway, a 20 year old B by the
youngest Steinway, and our 56 Baldwin D has Iturbi's name on it.  When I
rebuilt the L, we taped over the signature of Charles when re-bronzing to
preserve it.  I think it WOULD add some value, although how much is
anyone's guess. I might think it would look a bit messy to have many
signatures on one grand. I'd leave the new one alone.....for a few years

Too bad you don't have Rubenstein's sig on your piano.  I would think it
would definately add value.

Do any of you date and sign pianos when tuning.  I often see really old
signatures on upright plates.  I once had a customer with a 1900
something-or-other with a date of someone in  Nome, AK dated 1909.  No
bullet holes in it, so it must have been in a missionary house in those
days.  what else was in Nome then, missionaries, brothels and saloons!

Paul

"John D. Chapman" <johnchapman at asolare.org>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
02/03/2009 05:31 AM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
[CAUT] to sign or not to sign

Our university music department (Wake Forest University in
Winston-Salem, North Carolina) just bought a new Steinway D.  This has
started an unexpected discussion.  Our old S&SD was bought in 1968 for a
concert by Authur Rubinstein.  During the last few years, when a concert
was given on this piano by a noteworthy pianist, that pianist was asked
to sign the plate with a black sharpie.  Among the signatures are
Stephen Hough, Ruth Loredo, Alicia de Larrocha, Menachem Pressler,
Richard Goode, Philippe Entremont, Arcadi Volodos, and Mark Andre
Hamlin.  Some of our students and faculty are thrilled to see those
signatures as reminders that the piano they are playing has been played
by such great pianists.  Others think it degrades the piano.  The
discussion is: do we want to continue this practice of plate signing on
the new S&S D. Someone asked if it increases or decreases the value of
the piano. (Probably not either way.) What are your thoughts on this?
John D. Chapman
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109