[CAUT] to sign or not to sign

Brad Smith, RPT pianotech at smithpiano.com
Tue Feb 3 06:26:28 PST 2009

Double edged sword.I recall having a job removing extra signatures from a
piano at a Boston concert venue.
It had several famous people on it.....Elton John, Billy Joel, Frank
Sinatra.
Then the "New Kids on the Block" (this was the 80s), came to perform.
Their work amounted to graffiti as every last one of them had to get in on
it.
So I was hired to remove the offending extra stuff with acetone.

Then you have the issue of an almost famous pianist, who wishes to sign next
to someone really famous.....what do you tell them?   I suppose you would
have them sign by invitation only, but can you imagine the insult to the one
who thinks he/she "should" be invited to sign, but isn't?

My favorite story of this type:
An associate was prepping/tuning a piano for a famous pianist, and as an
avid collector of autographs, and an avid admirer of his own
greatness.....he focused himself on having the opportunity to get this
pianist's endorsement of his work.

My job was to touch up this piano "if needed" just before the concert.  I
found that the 'prepping' had not held, and had to scramble and retune that
whole piano 45 minutes before the concert.  Not fun, but the concert went
well.
Later on, I got the story from the prep guy....he had been so anxious to get
the endorsement / autograph of this pianist, that when the opportunity
presented itself, he forgot and had no marker available.   So he grabbed one
that was close by and got his prized endorsement written on a CD of this
artist, which he had bought for this purpose.
As he drove home he reached down to admire the writing, and discovered he
had used a 'dry-erase' pen, and the thing was mess.
Universe wins.

  The discussion is: do we want to continue this practice of plate signing

--
Best Regards,
Brad Smith, RPT