[CAUT] Piano Juries on Concert Instruments.

Martin Snow martinsnowpianos at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 21 17:46:22 MST 2009

At Boston University School of Music we have always used the Concert Hall for piano juries. Typically I will put out either the German or the American Steinway D,  and yes I am the one to make the choice. These are our #2 and #3 concert instruments   both from the late  1970's. The #1 is a more recent 1989 German D. Our policy has always been to limit the usage of this piano to Faculty, and doctoral student recitals, and special occasions.  I don't regard piano jury usage as abuse, just another day in pianoland.
Recitals are still going on in the evenings after juries, but Scheduling  office  can always alert the students when they book their recitals [months ahead] that it is jury time. I also will check the evening recital schedule during these days, and that determines which piano I put out for the juries.