[CAUT] key leads

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Mon Dec 21 00:15:14 MST 2009

We have a lot of leads swelling here in Hawaii. But what I've found interesting, is that there seems to be no rhyme or reason why they expand. I've had newer Yamahas (15 years). and older American made pianos, where some of the leads expand, while the key right next to is not effected at all. If it was a bad mixture of lead, it would seem that all of the leads in that batch would be bad. We've discussed this at a couple of chapter meetings, and we don't know why this is happening. We fix it chiseling off the leads, and sealing them with Shellac.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789