[CAUT] student assistants

Greg Granoff Gregory.Granoff at humboldt.edu
Tue Dec 15 14:45:39 MST 2009

I have a very similar situation as Ted Kidwell-same state university system,
different campus.  I have had a few assistants in the 20 years I've been
here as a solo staff tech, and the results have been quite mixed.  Partly it
is, as Ted says, students underestimating the amount of time required, and
part is budget (which is a gigantic problem right now for a CA state
universities), and part is balancing the value for the department with value
imparted to the student in question.  A couple semesters ago I had a student
who actually got credit for a regular amount of time each week in the shop,
and that worked out well.  Some rudimentary tuning, and some fairly advanced
repair and regulation techniques got a fair amount of time.  A particularly
intelligent and diligent assistant, she made it work.  Many others would
not, and knowing this, I do not seek anyone out.

Greg Granoff  RPT

Humboldt State University

  _____