[CAUT] student assistants

Kidwell, Ted W kidwellt at saclink.csus.edu
Tue Dec 15 12:41:58 MST 2009

I get a lot of inquiries from students wanting to learn piano work. I do my best to discourage them because I know they are underestimating the time and effort required- just as I did. I had a student that I could not ward off that worked with me all of last spring semester and through the summer. I think it was a resounding success. He learned rudimentary tuning techniques and was quite useful in regulating the verticals. He helped with restringing and tedious jobs like repining, bushing keys etc. As a solo full-time tech I liked the company. Unfortunately, he had to move away.

The challenge is to balance the time needed for training with the amount of actual work that is gotten out of the student that is of value to the university.

Now I have a young woman who seems very earnest. We will see how it goes.

Ted Kidwell, RPT
California State University, Sacramento
Capistrano Hall, rm. 153
6000 J Street