[CAUT] temperature and pitch

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 12 12:52:10 MST 2009

Whether or not the dehumidifier rods were activated depends on how often the
humidifier is cycling off the hydrostat.  The system does not work as an
on/off switch at 42%. It cycles up to 46% and down to 38%.  It is indeed
likely that it could cycle several times overnight. The 8 watt rod on the
humidifier is probably working a larger percentage of the time, but it is
still producing heat. Think about how small the heating element is that
heats your home in relation to the size of the space it affects.

It really doesn't matter whether this is a grand or vertical. With both, the
heat rises and if you have the lid closed, you close in the warmer air and
create a small environment that is different from the air outside.  Though I
haven't recorded the numbers, I have in the past measured the difference in
the temperature of a grand with a DC system inside the closed cover on the
plate and outside on a nearby table. There can be a couple degrees
difference. So, anytime I measure temp/hum in a room for a piano with D/C, I
always measure it outside the piano, because the air inside the piano is
different.

As to whether or not the heat is going through the soundboard and heat the
plate and strings, yes, I think it can. According to Dampp-Chaser, the
"soundboard is like swiss cheese", which is why the backside vertical system
is actually more effective than the standard vertical system. With the
backside system, the hydrostat is installed inside the piano, with the
heater rods and small tanks outside, on the back, on the other side of the
soundboard.

Yes, your D/C system was operating all along, which is why wonder if the
inside of the piano was affected as much by a 10 degree change outside.

Jeff