[CAUT] temperature and pitch

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Dec 12 12:08:24 MST 2009

On Dec 12, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> Don't forget, the DC system works by producing heat.  That does
> throw a small wrench in the cog of "controlled". It could actually
> be enough heat to reduce your temperature effect. I've tuned
> verticals with 50w DC systems that are almost impossible to tune
> because once you open the cabinet up and expose them to a 63 degree
> room, you're fighting the temperature change the whole time.

I don't think the little rod on the tank produced enough heat to
change the temperature of the strings or plate. Do you? (It is quite
unlikely that the higher wattage rods were activated to lower the RH
during this period. Though I'd find it very hard to believe that they
would have an effect either). This is a grand, not a vertical. Is that
little bit of heat going to make its way through the soundboard and
heat the plate and strings? Really? Let's not be silly. In any case,
it was operating all along, before and throughout the "experiment".
	I make no pretense that this was actually a controlled experiment,
but it seemed close enough to bother reporting what I observed. Better
data than most of the stories I read, which tend to be exaggerated
quite a bit.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico