[CAUT] temperature and pitch

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Dec 11 09:17:22 MST 2009

	This morning I had the opportunity to see a pretty precise picture of
what temperature change does to pitch. I tuned a Steinway A (old,
rebuilt) yesterday in a performance space, and came back this morning
to tune it again (two night show). The temperature today was about 10
degrees F lower than yesterday (heat turned down overnight). The
tuning was as expected for a next day (unison tweaking), but the pitch
was pretty consistently 2 cents sharp throughout. Tenor was maybe a
bit less (1 - 1.5), but otherwise quite consistent. The piano had
obviously cooled down slowly overnight, and was stable.
	So there you have a field observation under more controlled
conditions than we usually see, for the record. (I tuned it where it
was).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico