[CAUT] Bluthner Action

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Dec 9 20:39:59 MST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 6:48 AM, Stephen Snyder wrote:

> What can anyone  tell me about this Bluthner piano action    Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> steve

	In my limited experience, this action can work very well indeed, as
long as you don't try to make it behave like a standard action with
wippen and rep lever. It has been too long since I worked on one to
give any details, but the last one I dealt with had been mis-regulated
by another tech to have hammer rise after check, as I recall. I fooled
quite a bit with spring tension (mostly lowering it), and when I was
done it repeated beautifully. I was amazed, as it seemed a bit counter-
intuitive. Sorry I can't really offer specifics, but my best advice is
to look at it as a completely different animal, and look at its own
function rather than preconceptions of how the standard modern grand
functions.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico