[CAUT] What Types of Pianos in Non-Piano Teaching Studios and Classrooms?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Dec 8 13:56:43 MST 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Paul Milesi wrote:

> I’m wondering what sorts of pianos other schools have in teaching
> studios for theory/comp, flute, trombone, choir director, and,
> particularly, voice.  Are they verticals or grands?  How frequently
> tuned?  Better or worse shape than practice rooms?

Piano faculty two large grands (St Bs)
Voice faculty (3 of them) one St B each. A couple part timers have
uprights.
Woodwinds: oboe, flute, clarinet, sax have grands; bassoon an upright
strings: violin, viola grands; cello, bass uprights
brass, all uprights
Theory/comp mostly uprights, one small grand with Pianodisc
miscellaneous is usually upright (Music ed, history, etc)
Allocation is largely on the basis of faculty preference at this point
(those who have an upright chose to because of space issues), as we
have the resources to provide a grand where requested, at least within
a year or two (a budget for piano maintenance and replacement, based
on a course fee).

Classrooms, six have grands, two uprights

Tuning for faculty is 2x per semester minimum, more for piano (close
to 1 per month) and somewhat more for many of the other applied
instruments (depends on the individual, and how much they use the
piano and care). Things are less stable in the fall, so 3x then and
once spring is common. Classrooms get tuned in a rough priority scheme
between piano faculty and average faculty schedules.

Practice uprights are a mix of better and worse condition than
faculty. Grands are, finally at this point, pretty comparable except
for the use factor (voicing gets more shrill, for instance). In
general, most of our pianos are in quite acceptable condition now
(were far worse when I came here 23 years ago). Tuning of practice
grands is between piano and other faculty in frequency. Practice
uprights average 1 1/2 per semester.

All that said, I wouldn't criticize your decisions. They are based on
your resources, and seem reasonable in terms of priorities.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu