[CAUT] slippery keys

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Mon Dec 7 16:43:42 MST 2009

I'm pretty sure Blackstone Valley Piano will do this. Mike Morvan
claimed that the cracking is more likely when new wood and new ivory
are used. Currently, only old ivory is available, so he told me that
there should not be a problem with one-piece tops on a new keyset. I
would guess less trouble yet on older keys. And I'm pretty sure he
can do individual keys. We, too, have a few such cracks. Maybe I
should get a quote.....

There are probably a couple of other places that will do this--David
Warther seems to be the main source of ivory, and I think he can
provide a list of people doing ivory key coverings. It's been a while
since I've actually researched ivory availability...

Doug