[CAUT] slippery keys

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Dec 7 13:40:07 MST 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 1:20 PM, Douglas Wood wrote:

> So I've been reflecting on this, and my current hypothesis is that
> the reason that ivory has this reputation of being just a bit tacky
> is not so much the ivory as the finish that's on it. Which is, I
> believe, bees-wax based buffing compound. So I have just buffed all
> the naturals. (Now I'm wondering if I should also buff the ebonies...)
>
> I'm posting here in the hopes that some of you might be able to
> either corroborate or correct this line of thought. Anyone??

	I have under my care one of those D's with the one piece ivories, and
I think they are particularly smooth. They seem to have a very even
and solid grain. I think most older ivory tends have a more pronounced
grain, and develops a surface grain, as the softer portions wear with
use. I think this may be where the reputation of "tackiness" of ivory
comes from.
	I don't find the feel of the smooth one piece ivory much different
from plastic, in the sense of slipperiness. It does feel different,
and I kind of like the feel better, like a wooden tuning lever handle
versus plastic. But I think slippery treatment is probably the same.
	BTW, a few of my one piece ivories have developed cracks, from the
corner (where the sharps are) into the wide part. Anyone know of
whether it is possible to have someone replace this material
successfully?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico