[CAUT] Stringing equations and friction

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 6 08:08:52 MST 2009

Greg Graham wrote:
  > If we reduce bearing point friction, won't we lower the
> difference in tension between the two segments, thus
> allowing less breakage?

Very good point. A rational and plausible explanation of
getting away with using the smaller wire. The shame is that
the scaling formulas available today weren't when these
instruments were designed, and too often still aren't being
used today, to avoid building something on the very edge of
the materials limitations in the first place. If not for very
poor design, this discussion wouldn't have taken place at all.
Ron N