[CAUT] Stringing equations and friction

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Dec 5 20:43:16 MST 2009

At C88 speaking length of 63 mm you are at 98% of the BP.  Reducing the
diameter of the wire doesn't change the BP percentage.  The higher the
tension the more friction because there is more pressure on the bearing
points.  A thinner wire will have less tension and therefore slightly less
friction.  The segments when equalized are at the same tension and BP%
however when you start to pull up the pitch there is a slightly higher
tension in the tuning pin to capo segment until the rest of the string
moves.  Since you are so close to the BP% that likely pushed you over the
edge to where the strings were breaking.  The reduction in friction because
of the slightly thinner wire was probably not a significant factor in that
string making it and the other not.  The difference in tension between #13
and #12.5 is 249 to 224 lbs.  The Mapes wire has a slightly higher BP so
that combined with a bit of dumb luck probably got you there.  Tuning the
piano 1/2 step flat will reduce the BP% at C88 to 88%.  If you believe in
numerology maybe that's a sign.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com