[CAUT] FW: Concert hall pianos

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 5 11:47:57 MST 2009

(this was supposed to go to caut, but I've been having some kind of issue with my email program that winds up kicking the caut email address out of the "to" box)

Well, you have to do what you think is right. The decisions I made when I was at the U were made with consideration for what it would mean to my successor and other situations. My predecessor had set some pretty firm ground rules and they were respected for his 22 years here. I tried to keep the same mindset, knowing that everytime I bent a rule it would affect what would be expected of me or anyone else in my shoes in the future. But the activity level increased exponentially in the 10 years I was there.

I made the mistake ONE time. I was having trouble getting into one piano professor's studio. I woke up wide awake one morning at 3 am and couldn't go back to sleep. So, I decided to go in and get that professor's studio taken care of.

In a meeting, I made the mistake of letting my dean know I'd come in at 4am, trying to let him know how hard it was getting to schedule the studios. Instead of him thanking me for going outside my normal schedule, he said, "So, why don't you do that EVERY morning?" He actually caught himself as he said it, because he knew what asking that was going to imply. When I was hired (by a previous dean), the ground rules were that the job would be mostly 8-4:30 with RARE exception, because of the low salary. This dean wasn't in on that meeting. But that's when I knew for sure I was going to resign.

Because the next step is making you be there until 10 pm to just be there for faculty recitals. Or until midnight on Friday getting 30 pianos tuned for Saturday auditions or midnight Saturday getting 35 ready for piano festival.

I have a family. They needed a husband and father. Not just an insufficient income.
Jeff

  ----- David