[CAUT] FW: Concert hall pianos

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Sat Dec 5 08:25:31 MST 2009

Dennis:

Your point is well made.  I think we should be able to work "normal" hours as much as possible.  In my case, it has been my choice to work 5:30am to 1:30pm.  First, I like the early hours, I also live 49 miles away so I get to miss traffic both ways, I always get a parking spot, and I feel much more productive not having to spend an inordinate amount of time scheduling myself in rooms.  After 10:00 I can still work on practice room pianos (I can kick a student out if I have to but nearly never do).  Since more than 1/3 of our pianos are in practice rooms that works pretty well.  I can also reserve an unused classroom to do work later in the day, it's just harder.

This early schedule has been my choice.  Whoever gets the job February 1st when I retire will have to arrange his/her own schedule to suite the school and their personal preferences.  It will probably be different from mine.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>