[CAUT] studio pianos

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Fri Dec 4 21:31:00 MST 2009

All of this boils down to two things, time and money. When students are allowed to practice on concert and studio pianos, the tech doesn't have the time, and the school doesn't have the money, to properly take care of the instruments. The best way to CYA, is to document, as much as possible, what you do, and how much it costs. Let the proper authorities, namely the chair, the piano faculty, and other influential profs, know what will happen when students are allowed to practice on concert and studio pianos, and what will happen when you have to spend more time keeping them playing properly, at the expense of neglecting the other instruments. Then, when you are doing the necessary repairs, etc. on these instruments, document how long it took, what parts were used, etc, etc. Send copies of your daily schedule every day to all the above named people. Most of them have no clue what you really do,and how much time you spend taking care of the pianos. No matter how trivial the repair, or little time you took, document. For instance. 8:00 AM to 8:15, touched up new string in practice room 201, including the time to walk there and back. 8:15 - 8:45, removed pencil from practice room 205, including walking back to the shop for the tools. 8:50 - 11:30 tuned, voiced and regulated concert hall piano, including 5 minute bathroom break. 11:30 - 12:00 (including walk to the shop for tools and parts), to repair broken hammer in studio 300. $1.50 for hammer shank. 12:00 - 1:00 lunch. etc.

I didn't do this at Alabama. I wish I had.

Wim