[CAUT] Teaching studio pianos

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Fri Dec 4 10:44:54 MST 2009

Laurence,

The lines I wrote below are somewhat in jest. I do go out of my way to accommodate students. But where do we draw the line? We have 5 nice practice rooms which are reserved for piano majors with a B, an nice 7' Schimmel, Two Ms, and a Mason A. These are tuned twice as much as the other practice rooms and we try to monitor them to keep them in good condition. Our plea to students was "Please use these pianos instead of your teacher's studio piano to help take pressure off the teaching studio pianos". Many students ignore this altogether. The end result is that the studios (all Bs) all too soon end up needing new hammers and strings. When students were prohibited from this, the pianos really stayed quite nice, with very little string breakage, tuning issues and hammer/voicing problems. Teachers never complained and had nice pianos to teach on. Now it seems like every week to ten days we have to do some substantial voicing, along with string breakage, tuning, etc. But think about it; 17 hours of HARD playing by some of the most talented players. That's around 100 hours per week! In the words of "Scotty" - "She can't take much more captain..."

Do you have any suggestions? We can't hire another technician, but we cannot keep these studios "up" under these conditions, along with the other 425 pianos we have. We do have 2 fulltime technicians, 4 students, and one part time fellow, but it's really disheartening to have a teacher call and say their piano is out of tune, etc. after you tuned it 2 weeks ago! Well now, after 200 hours of REALLY hard playing? Of course the tuning will go south, along with the hammers, strings, regulation, etc.

My point is that while I agree that students "could be doing worse things" the situation is not good either. I certainly wish the teaching studios could have less pressure. That's all.

Jim Busby