[CAUT] Sperrhake Harpsichord wire

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 4 18:53:45 MST 2009

Jim, that's correct in my experience although a well designed and built
harpsichord won't need a lot of tweaking. I know that sometimes, for
example, you may need high tensile .008 in the top of a 4', if the low
tensile you want to use will not come up to pitch. This is usually a
sign of the scale being too long, a execution problem in the instrument
rather than the strings. If I remember right, some short scaled
historical instruments (Italian and German) were copied in steel strings
originally and it wasn't until someone realized they worked well in
brass, and at lower pitch so needing a transposing keyboard, that they
really revealed the true sound. Brass is going to sound different from
iron no matter how you voice it, as will phosphor or red brass or steel.
Sperrhakes, Neuperts all those dinosaurs were built using piano
concepts, not harpsichord knowledge. FWIW, I am having a run on
harpsichord work for the first time in many years, 2 Neuperts, a Herz
and a Zuckerman. Fun stuff after so many pianos, even the less than
satisfying ones...

--Dave

  New Orleans