[CAUT] FW: Concert hall pianos

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Dec 4 15:05:49 MST 2009

I'm with you, Tanner,

It was busy when Richard West retired and I took over almost 4 years ago,
but the workload has increased a ton since I started. Now a new venue has
opened up for faculty and ensemble recitals at our Art Gallery.  If it
weren't for Husker football games on Saturdays, I would be here 7 days a
week.....Then there's spring semester!

The pianos are really not getting enough attention, other than the concert
and faculty instruments. Then again, I'm having to shave off time on
recital tuning and care, and faculty needs, to tend to everything.
Fortunately, the School of Music is thriving, and I'm glad to have a job.
But as people have said, if all the pianos are only "half-good", then I am
the only one to point a finger at.

Some of our best graduate pianists do use the faculty pianos, and at least
3 of them are very powerful players. One of our grads breaks nearly a
string a week.  I don't understand how one can play so hard.  I know, one
of the Steinway B's which gets the most broken strings, has a capo-bar
problem, but there's no time to fix it, restring, etc when it's used
everyday.  I have no replacement piano to take its' place, unless I take a
lesser quality piano from a practice room for several months! This will
not be smiled upon by the faculty member to which I refer.

So, what do you all do with this?

Paul