[CAUT] Practicing on concert instruments...again...

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Dec 3 15:43:39 MST 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> I didn’t put this in my post but he (the director) said (when told
> we couldn’t keep it in tune as we do now if he did this) “It may
> just have to be out of tune for a concert, and we’ll just have to
> live with that”.

	That's very interesting. Strange mindset. It's more important that
the students practice on the piano more than that their recital and
recording thereof have a decent tuning.
	We'll never have this issue arise, because practice time is limited
by time available in the hall, and it is booked pretty solid except
early fall semester. Nobody can get more than one rehearsal, and some
scramble to try to get that, what with a couple sections of Music
Appreciation, various studio classes, master classes, recording
sessions, and the demands of performances and one rehearsal per. I
book tunings way ahead, and they always get eaten into. There aren't
enough hours in the day for the hall. But we are bursting at the seams
in general. I can hardly find an hour open in a lot of classrooms from
8 am to 8 pm.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico