[CAUT] Letters of Recommendation

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Wed Dec 2 09:43:44 MST 2009

Zeno,

Thanks for this.  I have written several such letters over the years, with the same caveats as you, and am curious how common a practice this is.  If someone is actually remarkable to begin with, and I spend enough time with them to get to know them well, I will devote as much time as it takes to put together one humdinger of a rec. letter.  Although few of those for whom I have written letters were my students technically speaking, I can still make relevant observations about how their mind works, their work ethic and the like.  I bolster the pertinence of what I have to say about them intellectually by stating my own academic credentials.  And I know that there are many other "scholar/technicians" out there.

Anyone else?

Alan Eder