[CAUT] historic temp thoughts

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 1 09:31:23 MST 2009

Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:57:20 -0800 "David Love" <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>

> I believe it's not possible to make a equally tempered fretted instrument.
> I say that because even the best acoustic/classical guitars made require
> slight adjustments to the tuning for different keys.  The quality of the
> intervals, especially thirds and sixths, simply don't quite remain the same
> as you change keys and most guitarists will make tuning adjustments
> depending on the key to compensate.  I can't  offer the scientific
> explanation at this point.

David,

I should note that the conception of what constitutes "equal" was quite
different in previous centuries than how it is conceived in the piano
tuning community today. A lute with parallel frets is "equal" enough. I
don't believe that the sort of mathematical precision that we obsess
about these days ever played much of a role with practical musicians.
And in practice, musicians who can, always fudge pitch for various
purposes during performance. So I wouldn't worry about it...

Israel Stein