[CAUT] Water Damage

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Dec 1 07:14:50 MST 2009

Stephen,

Questions like this are tough.  I think one could very easily make the case
that the piano should be considered a total loss, written off, buy a new
one.  As you are aware, effects can take a long time to show up, and if you
pursue restoration to some extent, only to find later there are serious
structural problems, for example............a lot of unhappy people.
Similarly, one could make the case for restoration.  If you pursue this
avenue, I would recommend getting the climate stable, allowing the moisture
content of the piano to equilibrate, then perform an assessment.  If you
choose to restore, you have to take some chances and you can't possibly know
the extent of the damage for some time.  That risk could be significant.
However, it may pay off as well, and restoration may be reasonable.  If it
were me, I would also consider talking to someone at S&S, NY for their
opinion, probably either Kent Webb, or David Kirkland.

IF it were me and IF I chose restoration, I would have a new key set made,
pinblock, stringing, dampers/trapwork, action, possibly soundboard,
depending upon assessment in a month or two.  If the keybed were a problem,
I'd lean toward total loss; if it doesn't show problems after a couple
months, and you want to restore, it's a risk you'll have to take - along
with veneer separations, case part separations, other failing glue
joints...........

Good luck,
William R. Monroe