[CAUT] Water Damage

Stephen Snyder shsnyder1 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 1 05:47:54 MST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I have been asked to appraise/ evaluate/estimate for insurance
purposes a Steinway  S #317539   that has significant water damage.
By the time I saw the piano the water had been removed.  The customer
told me there was water on the plate  bass section of the plate web/
tuning pin area, a small area of the soundboard along the spine , all
throughout the action and key bed.  The action is a mess as you would
imagine- seized up, backcheck & knuckle leather coming unglued, nice
ivory keytops all coming unglued and curling, keybushings shot, etc.
The bass dampers are stuck to the strings.  Couldn't really evaluate
the pinblock.  The finish is coming off the music desk, cheek blocks
and fallboard and there is evidence moisture on the long lid hinge.
The cabinet was in fair condition  before the water damage. Soundboard
and bridges appear to be OK.  I know that the effects of water damage
can take quite a while to show up so at this point I feel I should
recommend a New pinblock, tuning pins, strings, damper felt and a
complete New action.   Cabinet restoration. Questions I have for you
are 1.  Does this sound reasonable?  2. Should I include New keysticks
and action frame with the estimate? 3.  Am I likely to have problems
with the keybed as well?   Sorry I don't have pictures .  I would
appreciate any advice you would be willing to offer.  Thanks!

Regards,
Steve

Stephen Snyder
Registered Piano Technician