[CAUT] Subservience, was CAF

Cramer, Mark Cramer at BrandonU.CA
Fri Aug 21 15:52:53 MDT 2009

Thanks Ric,

A number of years ago I was working through this on a C-3 action at the Banff Centre; Repetitions failing the "wink" test was the problem, re-pinning them turned out to be the solution.

I was bothered by having to repin these centers to 8 or 10 grams, when we had a service bulletin posted over the re-pinning bench that clearly suggested they be 4-5 grams.

So, my good friend and colleague Denis Brassard asked me why we treat this center like the centers within the action? Afterall, their range of motion and dynamic operation is really quite different.

That got me thinking about it in a different way.

So now we re-pin repetition centers quite routinely, and without very much religeon... i.e.: often pushing out the original pin with the next oversized, and a quick friction test.

I'm happy doing this, and ever since have yet to encounter a CAF situation that addressing hammer/wippen centers and spring arc/tension won't solve.

Or, in your words... "CCJUNMWYDTWRF is something I just dont run into."

best,
Mark C.

PS I confess to changing rebound cushions more than once for appearance sake alone, but also beleive they should be very close to the hammer shank at rest.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Brekne <ricb at pianostemmer.no>
To: caut at ptg.org
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 18:06:36 +0100
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Subservience, was CAF

This seems the most reasonable to me Mark.  And it fits my experience as
well.  As I mentioned early... Complete Catastrophic Jammed Up No
Matter What You Do The Key Wont Respond Failure  CCJUNMWYDTWRF,
Cheers
RicB

    The more I have contemplated this, I have realized that if the
    cushion is coming into play during repetition at all, ACTION FAILURE
    has already occurred. Raising the cushion does not SOLVE the action
    failure. It is by simple coincidence that the jack can reset at all
    if the shank is bouncing off the cushion at whatever height.  Jeff

    YES!

    Mark Cramer,
    Brandon U.