[CAUT] Underlever Felt

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 12:18:55 MDT 2009

I am working on the new set of dampers on a Baldwin SD-10 and having problems getting them to silence completely.   I found a broken damper underlever flange and had to pull it out.  I took a look at the felt wedge that holds the spring in place  - the spring that  pushes the underlever back down.  Inside of that felt wedge was a black mess of something - old lube I suppose that had perhaps collected dirt - I wondered if this might be gumming up the work of that spring and slowing down the underlever?  To clean it, I think I would have to pull the entire back action, put new felt wedges on and clean the springs.  Big job.   I used protek on all of the underlever flanges.

Also, I used Tokiwa felt and the damping is insufficient in a rather wholesale manner.   I have tried to follow every normal procedure.  The tenor dampers especially have an over-ring (almost like a harmonic)  sound that doesn't seem related to sympathetic vibrations of other strings because as soon as I touch the string I played - it stops.   Is the Tokiwa felt dense/soft enough?   I have even tried substituing flats in the back instead of wedge - and got a tiny bit of improvement but not enough.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Bob Hull