[CAUT] key bending clamp, later draft

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Aug 21 08:06:11 MDT 2009

Here is my current set up, all nicely put together so it can go in the
trunk of the car. And showing various wedges and other spacing bits of
wood to customize the set up. The machine screws are "permanently"
attached to the board via nuts.
	First step is to mark the key, showing what direction any particular
side needs to be moved, and how much. Then, with the key in the clamp,
measure initial distances, and come up with a set of wedges or
whatever so that you can pull the key into that direction, without any
twisting or bending you don't want to happen.
	This is still in draft stage, as I find that with varying key lengths
and angled keys I need it to be more flexible in design.
	In any case, the "key" to the whole process is water. Wet wood can be
bent, and pretty permanently. Heat helps speed things up.
	I have also managed to bend keys successfully in the vertical
direction, but clamping needs to be extra careful, bearing on the key
beyond the button for the initial clamping.

P8210016.JPG

P8210017.JPG