[CAUT] CAF

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Aug 20 17:58:05 MDT 2009

On Aug 20, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> Geesh, Fred. Should we not look directly into their faces lest their
> countenance blind us?  Perhaps piano tuners should wear veils when
> we go out in public.
> Jeff

Actually, I think there is a middle ground. I call it mutual respect.
But I would also say the the piano technician is on the lower side of
the equation. We are support staff. We are definitely not the star.
	I don't tell the pianist how to play, or not play the piano. The
pianist doesn't tell me how to do my work. The pianist does point out
defects in the piano from his or her point of view, and it is my job
to address them the best I can. I do not point out defects in the
pianist's approach to the piano, whether or not I think they are
present. I may try to explain how the piano action functions in order
to establish better communication. Or not, depending on the person
involved.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico