[CAUT] CAF

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 17 16:22:49 MDT 2009

Add to this that as the lever approaches its top (rest) position, the spring
is at its least compression (weakest).

When we set spring tension from the checked hammer, the spring is relatively
strong because the lever is pressed down to its extreme position relative to
the wippen.

In the freaky CAF, when the key has been released, but the jack can't get
all the way back under the knuckle, the rep lever is just barely pressed
down relative to the wippen. The lever can't quite lift the knuckle, and the
jack can't quite make it back under the knuckle. A pianissimo blow will
probably play, but a fortissimo blow will fail.

When we can set checking high, we can have somewhat stronger springs as
well.

Ed S.