[CAUT] Update from Boston University School of Music

Martin Snow martinsnowpianos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 11 19:01:35 MDT 2009

We are in the final stages of the largest Wenger Co.  practice module installation. The original 85  practice rooms are gone, and in three highly detailed and organized  construction phases [involving much piano moving] during the last year we now have 125 practice room modules, in different sizes from the small,  upright piano and player, to the largest, enough to accomodate  brass ensembles, or two grand pianos and string ensemble. Many of the modules also have  playback capabilities so students can record rehearsals, and then critique.  We have created 4 double piano modules, and several modules with one grand and space for chamber groups. They are sensational, and the students love them. The piano inventory for the time being remains the same at around 175 pianos, 110 grands and the rest uprights, 8 harpsichords and a fortepiano.
This is my 24th year as head tech. We have done a lot of in house restoration and reconditioning of the pianos over the years. I have used local rebuilders, and refinishers when needed. In recent years I've sent many school pianos and my own pianos to SAMA  [samapiano.com] for their basic package rebuild,[block, s/board repair, restring, refinish] I'd recommend this to new techs. Keep the action, and do all the hammer and key work yourself. Speak to Salvador or Joel at the factory.
Of course we use Janssen for artist benches, but I'd also recommend BENCHWORLD, benchworld.com, and speak to Michael. We just purchased 50 ebony wood top benches for the modules that will work fine. Strong construction and good pricing. The upholstered top variety just dont work well under heavy usage.
My own piano service and sales business stays busy. There are some new LINKS on the website, www.martinsnowpianos.com.....enjoy the new semester