[CAUT] string level

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Apr 30 07:48:34 PDT 2009

Hi Chris,
	I'm having trouble visualizing the hanging of a Mother Goose level
below the strings. First, it's pretty heavy (50 gm) and would take an
awfully strong magnet (which would tend to defeat the purpose by
pulling the three strings together into one plane). Second, I don't
see what surface of the level would contact the strings, and how you
would see or use the level part. Maybe I am just not imaginative enough.
	About a top heavy design, I have been using one for quite a while. I
copied the idea back in 03 from Takatori Itake, one of the Shigeru
Kawai MPAs, and came up with my own design based on materials at hand.
I posted a photo to this list four years ago. Here it is again. I made
a couple (one for each tool kit), and it is my level of choice. I like
the fact it sticks up where I can see it, as well as the ability to
read next to the strut. It _is_ a bit of a "pendulum," but with a very
light touch I stabilize it with a finger or two. I'm so used to doing
it, that I don't think about it. I usually want to manipulate the
level a bit anyway, especially if the middle string is high, to see
what and how much I want to do to which string(s). The one with the
magnet I just posted is more stable, and doesn't need to be
stabilized. Partly that's because the level part is lighter weight.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu