[CAUT] New Backchecks?

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Tue Apr 28 14:35:25 PDT 2009

I don't remember if the back checks were replaced on that piano.  But
back checks can be tricky.   There were many posts about Steinway and
changes over the years.  Well, you have to include back checks in
that discussion.  A few years ago Steinway switched to a very stiff
wire, so stiff that you couldn't adjust the back check without
compromising the hole in the key.  They started using a multi-
laminate piece glued to the key at the base of the wire.  But if you
used those new back checks in old softwood keys, you had to buy a
front/back wire bending pliers.  Trying to bend the wire with your
finger or thumb was difficult and hard on the key.  Newer Steinways
seem to have a little less stiffness in the wire, but not much less.

I've used non-Steinway back checks, but the fluting can be a problem
as well as the diameter and length.  If the length of the wire is too
long to get proper back check height, you have to clip off some of
the wire.  That shortens the length of fluting that will hold the
wire in the hole in the key.

Fred Sturm said he preferred the less stiff variety.  I have to
agree.  So why did Steinway change?  And why were the old back checks
long on wood and short on wire? And why are some back check wires
installed at an angle, while others are installed vertically with an
extreme bend in the middle?

Richard West