[CAUT] string level

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Apr 28 14:17:17 PDT 2009

On Apr 28, 2009, at 1:53 AM, Joe Goss wrote:

> The foot would be ruined.

in which case maybe you could just glue a magnet to the mother goose
level.
Chris Solliday

	To clarify a bit about the design I posted: I like to have the actual
bubble higher up for visibility. I posted an earlier design maybe two
years ago that did that. It does require a little more mass on the
bottom to keep from being wobbly, so it will sit solidly on the
strings. That design took care of the problem of measuring strings
next to struts, unless they are partly under the struts.
	I was trying to come up with a way of getting a level between dampers
and the capo, where that gap is very narrow sometimes. That is a far
better place to be measuring than behind the dampers, as it is much
closer to strike point. So I tried a narrow piece of steel, but it
didn't sit very well on the strings, and wanted to fall over. I
couldn't get a good "pluck noise difference." Adding a magnet
stabilized it, because it was attracted to the strings, and made for a
good, positive difference in sound between contacting and non-
contacting strings. The photo I posted a couple days ago was a
preliminary model, and I need to get a thinner magnet and use thinner
steel to get what I want. But I thought the idea of the magnet was
definitely a keeper, so I posted it.
	And, yes, it would be possible to design a magnetic string level that
would hang down from the bottom of the strings. That would make it
possible to put it right at the strike point. But as I noted in my
post responding to Ed Sutton, it doesn't seem like it would be very
practical.
	I think Joe Goss' tool is a great one. But I'm not one to "leave well
enough alone". Have to keep puttering and improving. Beats the heck
out of working and making money <G>.
	BTW, if Joe or anyone else wants to make a level using a magnet and
offer it for sale, he has my blessing. I'm not interested in that sort
of business, myself. Can't be too strong a magnet, or it would pull
the strings into line and give you a perfect reading every time, which
would be slightly counterproductive.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico